Grievance Procedure

If you believe that you are not being provided with appropriate disability access services, you are encouraged to express your concerns to your KOKUA Counselor. If further informal resolution is needed, you are welcome to meet with the KOKUA Program Director.

To file a formal complaint based on the denial of requested disability access services or to file a complaint alleging disability discrimination, you can contact the Office of the Vice Provost for Student Success (QLC 409, 808-956-3290,

More information about UH Mānoa’s Disability Discrimination Complaint Procedures (A9.920) can be found at: