March 13, 2020 editor’s note: ASUH announced that its ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi classes will now be taught online until further notice. This is due to the recent developments regarding the COVID-19 threat, including the recent decision by UH administration to suspend all in-person classes in the coming weeks.
Beginning March 25, classes will be held live online, at its regularly scheduled time—every Wednesday at 3 p.m. All UH students, faculty, staff and community members will have online access to the course via the KTUH Facebook Page, which will post livestreams of the course every Wednesday at 3 p.m. Video recordings of all class sessions, including previous class sessions, can also be accessed via the ASUH Website under the “Be Involved” tab.
The remaining ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi course dates are: March 25, April 1, April 8, April 15, April 22, April 29 and May 6.
Members of the public should contact Raiyan Rafid, ASUH vice president at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Original story continues below.
The Associated Students of the University of Hawaiʻi (ASUH), the undergraduate student government at UH Mānoa, is hosting a free weekly, non-credit Hawaiian language class on the Mānoa campus in the spring 2020 semester. The course, offered in partnership with the Hawaiʻinuiākea School of Hawaiian Knowledge, will be taught by fluent ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi speakers.
The classes, which begin on January 22, will be offered free of charge to all UH Mānoa students, faculty, staff, alumni and community members.
“We are very excited to begin offering this Hawaiian language course for members of the UH Mānoa community,” said ASUH Senator Raiyan Rafid, who introduced the bill which appropriated funds for the ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi course. “As an indiginous-serving institution, we feel that everyone deserves the opportunity to learn ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi and we hope that this initiative will help to further the university’s goal of becoming a true ‘Hawaiian place of learning.’”
- Amazing first class!: Turnout overwhelms organizers of free ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi class, January 23, 2020
ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi course details
The first class session will be held on January 22, and will continue every Wednesday at 3 p.m., for the spring 2020 semester. No registration required.
The sessions are designed to benefit both those who intend to attend all sessions and those who wish to attend only one session, allowing anyone to attend as many or as few sessions as they choose.
Dates and locations
January 23 UPDATE: For the most up-to-date schedule, see the ASUH website.
- January 22, Campus Center Room 310
- January 29, Campus Center Room 310
- February 5, Campus Center Room 310
- February 12, Campus Center Room 203E
- February 19, Campus Center Room 310
- February 26, Campus Center Executive Dining Room
- March 4, Campus Center Room 310
- March 11, Campus Center Room 310
- March 25, Campus Center Room 310
- April 1, Campus Center Room 310
- April 8, Campus Center Room 310
- April 15, Campus Center Room 310
- April 22, Campus Center Room 310
- April 29, Campus Center Room 310
- May 6, Campus Center Room 310