During the registration period, classes often fill to capacity. At that point, some classes are set up to allow interested students the ability to add their name to a waitlist. The waitlist is established on a first-come-first-served basis and also has a limit on the amount of students allowed to waitlist per class. Should a registered student disenroll/drop from the class, an automated process will notify the first person on the waitlist that a space has become available. That student will receive an email sent to their @hawaii.edu address informing them that they have a 24-hour window to register for the class. If they do not register within their window, they will be removed from the waitlist and the next person on the waitlist will be notified of the available seat.
Quick facts about waitlisting:
- Not all classes are set up for waitlisting. If the class has that feature and there are waitlist spaces available, STAR will present the waitlist option at the time of registration.
- Once the semester begins, the waitlist feature will no longer be available.
- An email notification that a seat has become available does not mean the student is registered in the class. Notified students must log into STAR and register themself by the deadline specified in the email.
- Although students may be notified of an available seat in the class, they could still encounter an error upon registration. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure they meet all other registration requirements: prerequisites, corequisites, level/major restrictions, no time conflicts with other registered classes, and/or no health, financial or other holds on their student account.
- TEXT NOTIFICATIONS – In advance, students can also opt to forward the email notification as a text message to their mobile phone. (See instructions on Text Notifications)