The International Undergraduate Student Scholarship encourages the recruitment and retention of high-achieving international undergraduate degree-seeking students at UH Mānoa and serves the strategic and diversity goals of the university.
Eligibility: Open to new and continuing UH Mānoa undergraduate students who hold or will hold F-1 or J-1 visa status. See table:
|Classification||Minimum Cumulative GPA||ACT or SAT||Note|
|Incoming Freshman||3.0||High||GPA/Scores verified by Admissions Office.|
|Incoming Transfer||3.0||-||GPA verified by Admissions Office.|
|Continuing||3.0||-||GPA based on at least two semesters of study in a UHM degree program. First semester freshman/transfer students with no UHM GPA will have their GPA verified by the UHM Admissions Office, based on their admission application.|
New transfer/freshmen must submit an admission application to UHM in order to be considered. Second bachelor's degree applicants and non-degree students (for example, students from other schools here on exchange programs) are NOT eligible.
If you currently have the International Merit Award Scholarship (IMAS) or Mānoa International Excellence Scholarship (MIES), you are not eligible for the IUSS.
- $10,000 per academic year ($5,000 per semester, fall and spring), renewable based on continuing eligibility
- Applied to UH Mānoa tuition and fees only
- Cannot be applied to courses at other UH campuses and UHM Extension courses
- May not be combined with the International Merit Award Scholarship (IMAS) and Mānoa International Excellence Scholarship (MIES), which are administered by the Admissions Office
- The IUSS is given for an academic year, starting in fall only.
- The recipient's class level will be verified at the beginning of the fall semester based on total number of credits toward graduation (not the number of credits needed for a specific major). Based on this information, the recipient will be eligible for annual renewals based on the following chart.
|Class Level in Initial Semester of Award||Renewal Limit|
|Freshman||Current year + 3 academic years|
|Sophomore||Current year + 2 academic years|
|Junior||Current year + 1 academic year|
|Senior||Current year only|
- The recipient must enroll full-time each semester of the award (minimum: 12 credits) in UH Mānoa courses, unless they are in their last semester and receive authorization from ISS to enroll below full-time.
- Renewals are based on the recipient maintaining a cumulative GPA of 3.0 after each spring semester.
- You are strongly encouraged to set up UH eRefund to reduce complications on getting tuition refunds.
For continuing students: ~February 15; check the current application for exact date
For new students: no application required. Students are automatically considered with their admission application. Priority given to students who submitted admission applications earlier.
If you have already submitted an application for admission to UH Mānoa, you will be considered automatically for the IUSS, and do not have to do anything else. Your application will have higher priority if you submit by the admission deadline.
Award recipients will be notified by March 1 or after the Admissions Office has sent acceptance letters.
A continuing student is someone who is currently enrolled, even if you are in your first semester at UH Mānoa. Complete the IUSS online application for the IUSS.
You must have a UH email account to access the application. If you are currently logged into a personal Gmail account, you will not be able to access the application and will receive an error message. In that case, log out of your personal Gmail account, then go to the link again, where you should see a login for your UH account.
Award recipients will be notified on or after April 1.