Travel Signature

What is a Travel Signature?

A Travel Signature is an additional signature located on your I-20 or DS-2019 document that confirms that you are maintaining your F-1 or J-1 status and have been authorized to temporarily leave the United States while you are in your F-1 or J-1 program.

It is required on-hand upon arrival into the U.S. after returning from abroad.

Failure to have a Travel Signature on your most recent I-20 or DS-2019 document may result in you being denied entry into the U.S.


4. How do I Receive a Travel Signature?

For Dependent(s) of Students

Dependent(s) seeking a travel signature will need to have their F-1 or J-1 student file a travel request for them. Distribution of files will be to their F-1 or J-1’s email.

  • When submitting a request F-1/J-1 should specify in the (Optional) Note section if their dependent(s) require a travel signature
  • Approval will be directed to the F-1/J-1’s email, see the following section for the necessary information.

Following Approval for Travel Signature

Following approval of the travel signature request, students will receive an email from a member of our office or our issstaff account with a UH FileDrop link to an electronic copy of their document with DSO (For F-1) or ARO (for J-1) signature for them and/or their dependents. The FileDrop set to expire in 14 Days for your online privacy and security.

  • The email will come from a hawaii . edu email account
  • The subject will be: "Files are available for you at the UH FileDrop Service"
  • The download link will contain "" as part of the URL
  • The documents provided must be downloaded AND saved before the expiration date.
  • Students/Dependents are required to print I-20/DS-2019 documents and then sign and date the appropriate section (blue ink is recommended) and it should be on-hand when you arrive in the United States.