July 26, 2023 Update:
The ISS Office has updated the Visa Clearance process to separate items that can be submitted prior to arrival in the U.S. from the I-94 which cannot be submitted until after arrival.
Pages and requirements have been updated to simplify the process while allowing for submission of available documents prior to arrival in the U.S.
Please make sure to look over the entire process to ensure you complete Visa Clearance Properly.
ISS Manoa's Visa Clearance is a process required for international students who are starting their F-1 student or J-1 student program and have received their Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 for F-1, DS-2019 for J-1) from the University of Hawaii at Manoa.
The process provides the following:
- Introduces student's to the general rules of your visa status
- Verifies student's immigration documents upon arrival in the U.S.
- Ensures student's U.S. address information is formatted properly.
ISS Manoa Visa Clearance is required in order for our office to register your SEVIS record which allows you to stay in the U.S. for your academic program.
You are required to complete Visa Clearance if you meet the following criteria:
- You are starting an F-1 or J-1 program on your current SEVIS Record with the University of Hawaii at Manoa for the first time. This includes but is not limited to Students who:
- Are transferring from another school in the U.S. or another University of Hawaii Campus
- Previously attending UH Manoa but are on a different SEVIS Record.
- Are from Canada who do not require a visa in their passport but are still here on an F-1 or J-1 program.
- You received your Certificate of Eligibility (an I-20 for F-1 students, a DS-2019 for J-1 students) from The University of Hawaii at Manoa.
Students who received their I-20 or DS-2019 from University of Hawaii at Manoa Outreach College or East-West Center should contact their respective office to see what processes they require for your arrival.
J-1 Student Interns for the University of Hawaii at Manoa, please check your email for information on the J-1 Student Intern Check-in process.
ISS Manoa's Visa Clearance breaks down into 2 sets of actions:
- Step that can be done before you arrive in the U.S.
- Steps that must be done after you arrive in the U.S.
All must be completed and approved by the ISS Office. Failure to complete Visa Clearance will prevent the ISS Office from being able to register your SEVIS record.