Click on the tabs below to learn about Laulima.
Updates and Announcements
Links may open in a new window; you may need to close that window to return to this page. QuickTime Player is needed to view the video.
New to Laulima? A general tutorial will greet you when you log in to the site. To turn off/on the tutorial, click on the bust icon () on the upper right of the page. Also please make sure you are familiar with the things that every Laulima user should know. Note: Laulima has a daily downtime of 3:00am - 4:00am HST.
Laulima has been upgraded to Sakai version 10.7.
(12/27/16 at 1:20pm) Please note that there have been a few changes
to Laulima. A tutorial is available (or can be dismissed) by clicking the bust icon (
) after logging in to Laulima. We are working to update our documentation
, thank you for your patience. (12/27/16)
- Additional Laulima Downtime (Friday 04/28/17). Our apologies, there will be an additional Laulima downtime on Friday, 04/28/17 from 10:00pm to 1:00 am Saturday 04/29/17 (HST) for the application of security patches. Sorry for any inconvenience. (04/17/17)
- Spring 2017 courses have been published (visible and accessible to students). Note that instructors can publish or unpublish courses manually at any time. (01/03/17 @11:00am)
- Fall 2016 courses have been unpublished (invisible and inaccessible to students). Note that instructors can publish or unpublish courses manually at any time. (01/06/17 @5:30pm)
- Missing a course? If you do not see your Spring 2017 course
listed in the tab cluster near the top of the page, check if it is listed
under the "More Sites" tab. Note that instructors can also manually publish and unpublish courses, and that you can also check which course spaces you are associated with (including unpublished courses) in the My Tools tab at MyUH.
If it is not there, please fill out a "Request Assistance" form
and provide detailed information about the course you are looking for. During
very busy registration times courses may take a while to show up in your
account. (Updated: 01/03/17)
- Internet Explorer/Edge issues. Due to the customized nature of the Internet Explorer/Edge web browsers and the way they interacts with Laulima, we do not recommend using it for submitting work or taking tests in Laulima at this time. The web browser we currently recommend is Firefox ESR (Win/Mac/Linux).
- Web browser blank page issue. Recent updates to Firefox
and other browsers, changed the web browser's behavior. Pages with mixed
content (eg. public non-secure pages displayed in a secure site such as
Laulima) may not display. If the "shield" icon is available,
you might consider turning off that feature for specific Laulima pages. Advanced users may choose to turn off that feature via the about:config page. (08/19/13)
- Fix for links to UH webpages on recent versions of web browsers. If you are linking to UH personal web pages (http://www2.hawaii.edu/~uhusername) or department web pages (http://www.hawaii.edu/uhdepartmentname), they are now available as secure (SSL) pages. This should assist in having these pages not appear as blank pages in Firefox and other web browsers that block mixed content. To do this, change the http portion of the link to https . (08/30/13)
- Copying and Pasting from Word. If you are copying and
pasting from Microsoft Word (or other word processing programs), you should
consider using the "Paste from Word" (or "Paste as plain text")
button to avoid extraneous text or garbled formatting.
- Web browser recommendation. For most tasks in Laulima, we recommend using Firefox ESR (Win/Mac/Linux). While other browsers should work with Laulima (eg. Safari), we find that Firefox is the most compatible. When updating or first using a web browser, we recommend clearing the web browser cache first.
Archive of previous posts
Basic information and recommendations for using Laulima
Daily Down Time: Laulima will be unavailable daily from 3:00am-4:00am HST for server backup and maintenance.
Auto Log-Off: For your protection, Laulima automatically logs you out if it does not detect activity for two hours.
A warning message will appear notifying you of the lack of activity. Activity is defined as clicking a button in Laulima such as "Save Draft" or
"Next" (in a test), clicking on a course tab, or taking an action that sends information to the server.
Internet Explorer (IE) users: We recommend using Firefox ESR with Laulima. If you use Internet Explorer 8 and above,
you must use it in compatibility view, otherwise you may experience problems.
Internet Connection: It is recommended that you connect to Laulima using a wired broadband Internet connection.
While it is possible to use a wireless connection to access Laulima, a wired connection is recommended when taking tests or completing assignments. This minimizes the possibilty of potential network issues occurring.
- Hardware: Full access is available via most desktop or laptop computers. Limited access is possible through smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices. It is not recommended to use smart devices and mobile connections for graded work.
Archive of previous posts
How do I...
(QuickTime Player is needed to view the videos.)
- Find a missing course? video | text
- Send an email message from Laulima? video
- Properly copy and paste from Microsoft Word into Laulima? video
- Download files in "Resources"? video
- Post a message in "Discussion and Private Messages"? video
- Rearrange/hide tabs? video
TALENT Laulima Tutorials
- Check the
technical requirements for Laulima.
- To Internet Explorer (IE) users: we recommend using Firefox ESR with Laulima, we do not recommend using IE.
- Laulima will be
unavailable on a daily basis from 3:00am-4:00am HST for server backup and maintenance.
- For your protection, Laulima automatically logs people out if it does not detect activity for two hours.
Laulima does not detect typing within a single message or document unless it is saved or refreshed.
If you are writing a single item over a long period of time, consider writing it in a word processor then copying/pasting it to Laulima.