Students consult with their faculty advisor each semester before registering for any LIS courses. Once the faculty advisor has approved the student’s course selections, the Program Coordinator will grant registration approval for the selected courses, which will allow the student to register for courses via the MyUH Services registration system. Refer to the UH Mānoa Registration Guide for additional information regarding course registration.

Incoming new students will consult with their faculty advisors and register for courses at the New Student Orientation the Wednesday before the start of the semester.

Continuing students must meet with their faculty advisors to secure approval for the upcoming semester’s course selections; students will be alerted via email when it is time to make arrangements to do so.

As a courtesy to faculty advisors, continuing students should bring a copy of their unofficial transcript (or academic journey report) with them to the advising session.

Some courses have limited enrollment and are on a first-come, first-served basis. Other courses have enrollment minimums that, if not met by a certain date, may be cancelled. Students should be mindful of these issues and make their course selections at the earliest opportunity.

Unclassified students who wish to enroll in LIS courses should send email to to check course availability, with the understanding that currently enrolled LIS students (and incoming new students) have priority for available seats and unclassified student registration does not occur until after each fall/spring semester’s New Student Orientation has completed. Summer session courses are open to anyone interested.

Unless a leave of absence has been approved in advance, a student who fails to maintain continuous enrollment (excluding summer session) is considered withdrawn from the university. Students who fail to maintain continuous enrollment must reapply (and be accepted) to the University if they wish to continue their studies.

Grade Point Average Requirements

Graduate students who fall below a cumulative GPA of 3.00, will be automatically placed on academic probation by the UH Mānoa Graduate Division, during which time they will have an opportunity to correct their academic deficiencies. The probationary period will last for the following semester. The student must be registered during the semester s/he is placed on probation. No extensions of the probationary period will be granted due to incomplete grades. Enrollment at the graduate level will be automatically terminated by the Graduate Division for students who fail to correct their academic deficiencies by the end of the probationary period. Graduate students will not be allowed to register for classes and will be subject to immediate dismissal if it is mathematically impossible to achieve an overall cumulative GPA of 3.00 by the end of the probationary period. For more information regarding academic probation policies, refer to the UH Mānoa Graduate Division web site.