The University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa is No. 12 in the world in oceanography, No. 15 in atmospheric sciences, and No. 51–75 in the categories of hospitality and tourism management, earth sciences and communication (communications and communicology), according to the 2022 Global Ranking of Academic Subjects (GRAS) released July 19, 12:01 p.m. Beijing time (July 18, 6:01 p.m. HST), by the Shanghai Ranking Consultancy, which is considered one of the most comprehensive and objective rankings of world universities by subjects. Thirteen UH Mānoa subjects in total were ranked, including two others that placed in the world’s top 200.
UH Mānoa was one of approximately 1,800 universities in 96 countries and regions selected for the GRAS rankings, out of more than 26,000 total colleges and universities around the world. The criteria include research output, research influence, international collaboration, research quality and international academic awards.
“These rankings represent UH Mānoa’s commitment to academic and research excellence in a wide range of disciplines,” UH Mānoa Provost Michael Bruno said. “This is just another example of the hard work and dedication demonstrated by our world-class faculty, students and staff.”
- Oceanography: No. 12 worldwide, No. 7 U.S.
- Atmospheric science: No. 15 worldwide, No. 11 U.S.
- Hospitality and tourism management: No. 51–75 worldwide, No. 19–23 U.S.
- Earth sciences: No. 51–75 worldwide, No. 22–31 U.S.
- Communication: No. 51–75 worldwide, No. 31–39 U.S.
- Ecology: No. 101–150 worldwide, No. 30–48 U.S.
- Education: No. 151–200 worldwide, No. 84–99 U.S.
- Geography: No. 201–300 worldwide, No. 49–69 U.S.
- Environmental science and engineering: No. 201–300 worldwide, No. 58–82 U.S.
- Political science: No. 201–300 worldwide, No. 90–115 U.S.
- Business administration: No. 201–300 worldwide, No. 95–123 U.S.
- Psychology: No. 301–400 worldwide, No. 117–145 U.S.
- Agricultural sciences: No. 401–500 worldwide, No. 71–78 U.S.
Academic Ranking of World Universities
In the 2021 Academic Ranking of World Universities, also by the Shanghai Ranking Consultancy released in August 2021, UH Mānoa earned a No. 90–110 ranking in the U.S. and No. 301–400 worldwide. This places UH Mānoa in the top 2% out of more than 26,000 universities in the world.
UH Mānoa has also earned these notable rankings:
- 2023 QS World University Rankings, June 8, 2022
- 2022 Round University Rankings world university ranking, May 11, 2022
- 2022 QS World University Rankings by Subject, April 6, 2022
For more, visit the Mānoa Institutional Research Office website.
—By Marc Arakaki