What is Second Language Studies (SLS)?
SLS is an exciting interdisciplinary field where you can engage with a wide range of theoretical and practical issues related to learning, using, and teaching second and foreign languages. Some of the questions we address include:
- Why do some people learn languages more easily than others?
- How are first and second language learning similar or different?
- How can we become more effective language learners and teachers?
- How can we use technology to enhance language learning and teaching?
- What is the role of multilingualism in promoting diversity, intercultural communication and understanding, and educational and social equality?
- Why does language advocacy and policy matter in our local and global communities?
- How does learning and using a second language (or being multilingual) influence identity and social relationships?
As a student in our BA program, you will be able to focus on areas of SLS that relate to your needs and goals. With coursework that combines theory, research, and pedagogy, and other opportunities for academic and personal development, the SLS degree prepares you with the solid foundation and specialized skills you need to be a successful language learner, educator, and professional.