Funding Information for MA Students

Teaching Opportunities in the Department of Second Language Studies

Graduate Assistantships

All students accepted into the MA program are automatically considered for competitive Graduate Assistantships (GAships) in the SLS department, and are eligible to apply for GAships in other programs at the University of Hawai‘i. Most GAships in SLS include teaching in the English Language Institute (ELI) or the Hawaii English Language Program (HELP). Full GAships (at a 50% Full-Time-Employment appointment, "0.50 FTE") include a full tuition waiver and health benefits. Other employment opportunities may include occasional casual-hire positions in English language programs or half GAships (at a 25% Full-Time-Employment appointment, "0.25 FTE"); these positions do not include health benefits. 0.25FTE GAs are eligible for a half tuition waiver.

The availability of positions depends on departmental needs and funding, and may be offered during the academic year or summer sessions. MA students are eligible for a maximum of four semesters of support through Achievement Scholarships or GAships for teaching or research duties in the department (3 semesters for students who entered through the BAMA program or with transfer credits) and not beyond the 6th semester in the program (5th semester for BAMA students or with transfer credits) as long as they maintain a 3.0 average in the program. For students entering the program with transfer credits, the period of support may be reduced depending on credits remaining to be taken at UH. Continuing support is dependent on status in the program, need, and availability of funds. Selection for GAships and positions in the ELI or HELP is based on faculty recommendation, teaching experience and training, an interview with a panel of ELI/HELP administrators, and the availability of courses and funding.

Casual Hires

All students accepted into the MA program are also automatically considered for Casual Hire positions in HELP. Because of the temporary nature of Casual Hire appointments, Casual Hire employees are not eligible for most benefits as provided to regular BOR and Civil Service employees (i.e. paid holidays/leave). Casual Hire appointments may last for up to 89 days for full-time employees, and up to 1 calendar year for part-time employees.

Financial Support and Tuition Discounts

All students accepted into the MA program are automatically considered for financial support. We are typically able to offer most MA students at least partial support towards the cost of tuition through Achievement Scholarships.

Non-resident students will also be considered for competitive non-resident tuition-exemption (NRTE) awards, which reduce tuition to the resident rate for up to 4 semesters. (See here for current resident and non-resident tuition rates.)

UHM participates in the Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP), a Student Access Program administered by the Western Interstate Commission on Higher Education (WICHE). The program enables legal residents of WICHE member states and territories to enroll in selected out-of-state graduate programs at a reduced tuition of 150 percent of the institution’s regular resident tuition*. Prospective students who have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher from your Bachelor’s degree institution and are legal residents of one of the participating WICHE member states (for a complete list, click here) are eligible to apply for the WICHE tuition rate. More information can be found on Graduate Division’s website.

For applicants interested in combining a degree program in SLS with the study of an East Asian language (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) or a Southeast Asian language (Cambodian, Indonesian, Tagalog, Thai, or Vietnamese), there are a number of fellowships available that offer stipend and tuition support. U. S. citizenship is required. For more information, applicants should contact the UHM School of Pacific and Asian Studies.

For U.S. students, a variety of financial aid is available to graduate students, including UHM scholarships and grants, federal grants, federal Work Study, outside funding, and loans. Please refer to Financial Aid Services for more information.

International students in the past have found funding sources from their own educational ministries and/or agencies, as well as through the following resources:

For scholarship, employment, and visa information for international students, applicants should refer to UHM International Student Services.

Additional Information and Resources