General Campus/Major Resources

Resources for Students


A variety of national and university scholarships are available to SLS majors involving language study, research, and achievement in language-related areas.

Department of SLS Achievement Scholarship: Every academic year the Department of SLS awards Achievement Scholarships to undergraduate students who have officially SLS majors.  Awards are based on high academic promise/achievement and professional commitment in the field of SLS (at a level commensurate with being an undergraduate student). Both international and American students are eligible for these awards. Application information is sent out by email once a year, in late February or early March.

Critical Language Scholarship Program. The CLS issponsored by the United States Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, and provides undergraduate, Master’s or Doctoral students with fully funded opportunities for intensive language study and cultural experiences in countries where the target languages are spoken (see the CLS website for a list of target languages).  CLS awards are for periods of 7-10 weeks. Awardess must be U.S. citizens, are expected to continue on with their study of the target language after they return, and are expected to have plans for entering into professional careers in which they use their skills in the target language. Application information is available from the CLS website in Fall of each academic year.

Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship ProgramThe FLAS Fellowship program is setup to assist meritorious undergraduate and graduate students studying modern foreign languages and related or international studies. FLAS Fellowships are only available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.

Critical Language Enhancement Award (Fullbright)The CLEA is part of the U.S. Student Fullbright Program. Students who have already been awarded a Fullbright U.S. Student grant can be awarded opportunities to receive three to six months of intensive language study. Fullbright Grants are restricted to U.S. citizens only, who are studying specific languages (considered by Fulbright to be critical languages), and there is a minimum language requirement for all CLEA applicants.

Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship ProgramThe Gilman Scholarship is part of the Institute for International Education.  Awards are limited to U.S. Citizens who have financial need.  Awards can be used for academic study or internships abroad.

Additional information about relevant scholarships can be found on the “Scholarships for Students” page of the College of Languages, Linguistics, & Literature website.

UHM Forms